- Typhoon Soudelor has been underdoing rapid growth and intensification during the last few days over the Western Pacific ocean.
- Winds of 170 kph (105 mph) were reported on Saipan as the eye of the storm passed over the island late Sunday night.
- The typhoon is currently heading west towards the southern tip of the large island nations Japan and Taiwan.
- There are tens of smaller populous islands in the wake of the storm.
- Soudelor will continue to strengthen while it crosses the northern Philippines Sea on its way towards eastern Asia.
- This year’s record-breaking North Pacific typhoon season has been strongly influenced by the strengthening El-Nino conditions.